No-one is pleased about seeing wrinkles developing on their forehead. As one of the earliest signs of ageing, treatment for forehead wrinkles is one of the most sought after services available.
There are a number of treatment options available to reduce the appearance of horizontal lines and wrinkles on your forehead. In deciding which treatment is right for you, it is important to understand what causes forehead wrinkles to develop.
What causes forehead wrinkles?
- Ageing: As we age, our skin naturally becomes less elastic and less able to bounce back from being stretched or moving. This can lead to the development of wrinkles, including on the forehead. The forehead also loses supportive volume with age, causing the skin to become more prone to creasing.
- Sun exposure: Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can damage the skin, leading to the development of wrinkles and other signs of ageing.
- Facial expressions: Repeatedly making certain facial expressions, such as raising your eyebrows or squinting, can cause wrinkles to form in the skin. This is because these expressions cause skin bunching and creasing, that become etched into the skin over time. Raising the eyebrows is the expression most strongly associated with forehead wrinkles, a movement caused by activity of the frontalis muscle.
- Dehydration: When the skin is dehydrated, it can become dry and more prone to wrinkles.
- Genetics: Some people may be more prone to developing wrinkles due to their genetics.
- Smoking: Smoking can contribute to the development of wrinkles, as well as other signs of ageing.
- Skincare: Using harsh skincare products or not properly caring for your skin can lead to dryness and the development of wrinkles.
- Diet and lifestyle: A diet high in sugar and processed foods and a lack of exercise can contribute to the development of wrinkles.
- Sleep position: Sleeping with your face pressed into your pillow can cause bunching and creasing of the skin. This most commonly leads to the formation of diagonal forehead lines.
Best treatments for forehead wrinkles
There are several options for treating forehead wrinkles. These include:
- Anti-wrinkle injections: The most popular cosmetic treatment in the world, this is a popular option that involves injecting a small amount of a protein based on the naturally occurring substance botulinum toxin into the muscles that cause wrinkles. The protein blocks the signal from the nerve to the muscle, causing the muscle to relax. This can smooth out dynamic wrinkles in the skin (those seen when making facial expressions) by preventing skin bunching. Regular anti-wrinkle treatment can also prevent the development of new lines and wrinkles. Forehead anti-wrinkle injections take 2 weeks to fully take effect, and will need maintaining every 3-4 months.
- Dermal fillers: These are injectable gels that can be used to fill in wrinkles and add volume to the skin. Some common dermal fillers include those based on naturally occurring compounds known as hyaluronic acid and polycaprolactone. Dermal filler for forehead wrinkles is a great option for people with deeper, static lines (those that are visible even when now making facial expressions). The give an immediate result that will need maintenance every 6-24 months on average.
- Chemical peels: A chemical peel involves applying a solution to the skin that causes it to blister and peel off, revealing new, smoother skin underneath. Chemical peels can be used to treat wrinkles, as well as other skin concerns such as uneven skin tone and acne scars. Chemical peels are better used for ultra-fine lines and skin texture.
- Laser treatments: Laser treatments, such as fractional laser resurfacing, can be used to stimulate the production of collagen and improve the appearance of forehead wrinkles.
- Topical creams and serums: There are many topical creams and serums on the market that claim to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. These products may contain ingredients such as retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids, and antioxidants, which can help to improve the texture, elasticity and tone of the skin.
It’s important to note that these treatments may not completely eliminate wrinkles, but they can help to reduce their appearance. If you’re considering a treatment for forehead wrinkles, it’s a good idea to consult with one of the expert practitioners at Cosmetic Connection to find out the best option for you.
Most commonly, a combination of the above solutions is the most effective treatment for forehead wrinkles.
Forehead anti-wrinkle injections before and after photos
Female forehead anti-wrinkle injections, before and after.
Male forehead anti-wrinkle injections, before and after.