So, now that you’ve undergone dermal fillers, you’ll want to ensure that your result looks great for as long as possible.
Here at Cosmetic Connection, we believe that patient education is one of the most important parts of your treatment journey. While the procedure may be minor and non-surgical, it is vital that you know how to make the most of your treatment by carefully adhering to the aftercare instructions for your dermal fillers.
Following the dermal fillers aftercare is an effective way to achieve and maintain a great and long-lasting result.
What should I avoid after dermal fillers?
Until the day after your dermal filler injections, you should avoid:
- Applying makeup
- Lying down with pressure on your face (try to sleep on your back)
For the first 24 hours after dermal fillers, you should avoid:
- Intense exercise
- Excessive alcohol
For the first 7 days after your treatment, you should avoid:
- Applying firm pressure to your face
- Massaging the treated area (unless advised by to do so)
How to reduce swelling after dermal fillers
Here are some great ways you can minimise any swelling from your dermal filler injections:
- Avoid hot environments until the swelling has resolved. This includes hot showers, saunas and sitting out in the sun.
- You can take an antihistamine on the day of your treatment, as long as you are medically suitable.
- Avoid touching, scratching or picking at the skin of the treated areas.
- Gently apply a wrapped ice pack intermittently (10 minutes on, 10 minutes off) for the first 4 hours after your dermal filler injections.
How to reduce bruising after dermal fillers
If you are worried about bruising from your dermal fillers, consider following these steps:
- Avoid excessive alcohol for 24 hours
- Avoid intense exercise for the first day
- Gently apply a wrapped cold pack intermittently for the first few hours after your dermal fillers (be careful not to apply any pressure).
If you have bruising after your dermal filler injections, you can cover it with makeup the day after your injections.
What to expect in the first few months after dermal fillers
You can look forward to enjoying an immediate improvement in your appearance after your dermal fillers.
In the first few days, there may be some mild swelling and tenderness. The final result will be visible after 1-2 weeks as the swelling resolves and the filler integrates with your natural tissue.
If it is your first treatment, or all of the filler from your previous treatment has worn off before you come back for another session, there is a small chance that you will notice a slight drop in the visible result over the first few months. In such cases, a second treatment can be performed to achieve an even better and more stable result.
You can expect your result to look great for 12-24 months on average. Your body will gradually break down the injected dermal filler, meaning the result will slowly wear off over time.
Most patients revisit dermal fillers every 12-24 months to maintain their result.
Are there any side effects with dermal fillers?
All cosmetic medical procedures have potential side effects.
When performed with skill, caution and care, dermal fillers are categorised as a low-risk procedure. You can reduce the risk of side effects by following proper dermal filler aftercare.
While it is unlikely, some dermal filler side effects that you may experience include:
- Skin redness that will gradually improve in the first few days.
- Bruising which has about a 5-10% risk and can be covered with makeup.
- Mild swelling that may make your face appear slightly over-corrected for the first 1-3 days.
If you ever notice any rashes or skin discolouration after a dermal filler, it is important that you get in touch with us for an assessment. You can send a photo of your concerns using our contact form.
Why is dermal filler aftercare important?
No matter if it’s your first dermal filler treatment or your tenth, following the dermal filler aftercare is very important.
Following these aftercare instructions for dermal filler is the best way to care for your new look, reduce the chance of side effects and prolong your result.
While these aftercare steps may seem minor and trivial, not following them may compromise your result.
We want you to achieve the best result possible and love your new look, so please, take care.
Dermal fillers at Cosmetic Connection
Here at Cosmetic Connection, dermal filler is one of our most popular treatments, and a favourite among our clinical team.
It is a great option to sculpt your ideal face, enhance specific facial features, and reverse common signs of ageing. They can improve the appearance of your nose, lips, chin and jawline, treat under eye hollows, and restore volume loss, whether due to ageing or weight loss.
Check out our comprehensive dermal filler page for more information on this treatment.