Women & Men
Gummy smile injections
Laugh and smile comfortably with gummy smile injections. This safe, effective and no downtime treatment relaxes the muscles that lift your top lip. This reduces gum show when you smile and laugh.
How it works
Do you avoid smiling and laughing? Straight faced in photo after photo? Feeling embarrassed by your gummy smile is a common concern we see at here at Cosmetic Connection.
If this sounds like you, we can help. Gummy smile injections are an effective solution that relax the muscles that lift your upper lip. This reduces the amount of gum people see when you smile. It’s safe, has no downtime, and results look natural.
Led by experienced cosmetic doctors, our team are here to help with your gummy smile. For severe cases, we may recommend combining gummy smile injections with a lip flip or lip filler. During your appointment, we will assess your gummy smile, and design a personalised treatment plan just for you.
Enjoy the powerful benefits of gummy smile injections done by expert injectors at Cosmetic Connection:
- Reduce visible gum when smiling and laughing
- Improve smile height symmetry of the upper lip
- Give you a more attractive smile
Injections to reduce gum show when you smile take only a few minutes and have no downtime.
Preparation & aftercare
To ensure your gummy smile injections go to plan, follow our preparation guidelines:
- Remove all makeup immediately before your appointment
- Avoid consuming excessive alcohol within 24 hours of your appointment
- Refrain from intense exercise immediately before your appointment
After gummy smile injections, proper aftercare is crucial for optimal healing and results:
- You may experience mild tenderness in the treated area for a few days
- Avoid makeup, excessive alcohol and intense exercise until the following day
- Refrain from applying pressure to the treated areas for 4 hours
- Gently apply a wrapped ice pack to the injection sites to minimise swelling and bruising
Before & after
Before & after
Before and 2 weeks after gummy smile injections for our patient.
Each gummy smile treatment is perfectly tailored to you.
Book this treatment through anti-wrinkle injections.
*Applies to all anti-wrinkle treatments done by a medical doctor, and is waived when anti-wrinkle is combined with any dermal filler/collagen stimulating injection treatment.
Most treatments require 8-12 units.
*If you are treated with the recommended dosage and have any issues post treatment, we will remedy this at no charge.
Get clarity on your treatment in our info hub.
We believe that you deserve to be fully informed about all aspects of your treatment. If you want to dive deeper into the details of this treatment, check out the in-depth information hub.Visit the info hub
We want to answer any possible questions you may have.
If you can’t find the answers to your questions, get in touch with the clinic and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Cosmetic Connection is a dedicated gummy smile injection clinic in Melbourne and Sydney. Our clinic excels in providing a first-class service, and our cosmetic doctors are some of the most experienced in the country.
We offer a purely bespoke approach to gummy smile injections in Sydney and Melbourne, and will work with you to understand your concerns and develop a bespoke treatment plan to achieve your aesthetic goals.
If you want tailored gummy smile treatments in Sydney and Melbourne, choose the cosmetic doctors at Cosmetic Connection.
A gummy smile is defined as a smile with more than 2-3mm of visible gum.
Excessive gum show can be caused by:
- Strong smile and lip elevating muscles
- Excess gingival gum tissue
- Short upper teeth
- A long upper jaw
- A thin top lip
Gummy smiles are usually caused by hyperactivity of the muscles that lift your top lip. These muscles are:
- Levator labii superioris
- Levator labii superioris aleque nasi
- Zygomaticus minor
An overactive obicularis oris muscle can contribute to the appearance of a gummy smile.
Other less common causes of a gummy smile include:
- Excessive gum tissue above the upper teeth (known as gingival hyperplasia)
- Short upper teeth
- A long upper jaw (maxilla bone)
Gummy smiles tend to run in the family as we inherit certain facial features from our parents. However, some people may develop a gummy smile with inheriting it.
Yes, a gummy smile has many treatment options depending on the cause. The most common way we treat a gummy smile is with muscle relaxing injections. These weaken certain top lip lifting muscles (the levator labii superioris aleque nasi). We can combine gummy smile injections with a lip flip and lip filler for a more pronounced result.
Many children grow out of their gummy smile as their upper jaw develops. The jaw bones continue to grow until early adulthood, and other factors such as dental work and braces can affect the development of a gummy smile.
You won’t know if your child will outgrow their gummy smile until they enter their late teenage years.
Braces and Invisalign are unlikely to improve the appearance of a gummy smile.
Aligning the teeth will not treat the causes of a gummy smile. In fact, gum irritation from braces and Invisalign may cause gingival hyperplasia (more gum tissue), making a gummy smile worse.
The following treatment options are available for those concerned about a gummy smile:
- Orthognatic (jaw) surgery: expensive, and more risk and downtime compared with non-surgical options
- Gum lift to reduce excessive gum tissue: more expensive and painful than non-surgical treatments
- Cosmetic dentistry and veneers: good for short teeth, but costly and will permanently damage the underlying teeth
- Gummy smile injections: great for a gummy smile caused by strong lip lifting muscles
- Lip filler: an option for those with a thin top lip, helping to cover visible gum tissue
- Lip flip: this treatment helps to prevent thinning of the top lip when smiling, helping to further cover visible gum tissue
As everyone has their own belief about what is and isn’t attractive there is no definitive answer about whether a gummy smile is attractive. Some people do find gummy smiles to be an attractive facial feature while others prefer smiles without excessive gum show.
The muscle-relaxing property of anti-wrinkle product is one of the best treatment options to treat a gummy smile.
By relaxing overactive smile muscles, your top lip will not lift up as much when you smile. This means less of your gums will be visible when you smile.
No, gummy smile injections are different to a lip flip.
Gummy smile injections relax overactive smile muscles. This reduces gum show when you smile by reducing how much your top lip lifts.
A lip flip treats the obicularis oris muscle of the lip itself. This reduces your lips thinning when you smile.
After your comprehensive assessment of your gummy smile, we clean, mark and numb the treatment area.
Using tiny needles, we precisely place muscle relaxant into the lavator labii superioris aleque nasi muscles.
Gummy smile injections take less than 5 minutes.
Most gummy smile injections are placed next to your nostrils directly into the levator labii superioris aleque nasi (LLSAN) muscles.
No, there is almost no discomfort with gummy smile injections. For those concerned about discomfort, we have a range of strong numbing options.
Gummy smile injections start working in 3-4 days. The final results is seen in 2 weeks.
Gummy smile injections generally last 3-4 months. The longevity depends on the strength of your smile muscles, and the amount of muscle relaxant injected.
You can increase the longevity by having consistent maintenance treatments.
Prepare for your gummy smile injections with these steps:
- Cease all supplements 1 week before your treatment (unless taking for medical reasons)
- Avoid excessive alcohol for 24 hours before your treatment
- Attend your appointment without makeup
After gummy smile injections, you might experience slight redness.
Your gummy smile will start improving in 3-4 days, with the final result seen in 2 weeks. The effect then gradually wears off over 3-4 months.
Gummy smile injections are a safe treatment.
Visiting an experienced, doctor-led clinic is the best way to ensure that your gummy smile injections are performed as safely as possible.
Side effects from gummy smile injections are rare.
Some uncommon concerns people may have about gummy smile injections include:
- Asymmetry: often this is not due to the treatment, but attributable to a tilt of the upper jaw, meaning more gum will be visible on one side.
- Reduced tooth show when speaking and smiling: this is due to over-treatment of the lip lifting muscles. It will resolve on its own with no long-term problems.
What causes a gummy smile?
A gummy smile is defined as a smile where more than 2-3mm of gum tissue is visible above the upper teeth. Showing excess gum when smiling has a number of causes. Identifying the cause is important so that we can recommend the appropriate treatment option.
The causes or a gummy smile include:
- Hyperactive lip lifting muscles that pull the upper lip too high when smiling
- Thin lips, or lips that thin out when you smile
- Short teeth than make the gums appear comparatively larger
- Excess gum tissue
- A long upper jaw (maxilla bone)
Treating a gummy smile at Cosmetic Connection
If you are embarrassed by the appearance of your gummy smile, there are safe and effective treatment options available.
The right treatment for a gummy smile depends on the cause. The following treatments are the mainstays when it comes to improving a gummy smile:
Gummy smile injections use the muscle-relaxing property of anti-wrinkle injections to relax and reduce the strength of the muscles that lift the upper lip when smiling.
This reduces how much the upper lip lifts when smiling, meaning less gum will be visible when you smile.
This is a treatment for those with excessive gum tissue, where other treatment options are not indicated or sufficient enough to correct a gummy smile.
Cosmetic dentistry can increase the size of small teeth, improving the teeth to gum ratio.
Jaw surgery is required to treat a gummy smile that is due to a long upper jaw bone (maxilla). However, people that are candidates for jaw surgery can still benefit from more conservative treatments such as gummy smile injections, lip filler and a lip flip, with a significant, but not total correction often achievable.
Treatment for gummy smile in Sydney at Cosmetic Connection
Here at Cosmetic Connection, treating gummy smiles is something we have extensive experience in. We prefer to use a combination of injectable treatments because of their convenience and safety. Get in touch for advice on what gummy smile treatments you need.