So, now that you’ve undergone wrinkle reduction with cosmetic injectables, you’ll want to ensure that your result looks great for as long as possible.
Here at Cosmetic Connection, we believe that patient education is one of the most important parts of your treatment journey. While the procedure may be minor and non-surgical, it is vital that you know how to make the most of your treatment by carefully adhering to the aftercare instructions for your wrinkle reduction.
Following the wrinkle reduction aftercare is an effective way to achieve and maintain a great and long-lasting result.
What should I avoid after wrinkle reduction fillers and anti-wrinkle injections?
Until the day after your wrinkle reduction injections, you should avoid:
- Applying makeup
- Lying down with pressure on your face (try to sleep on your back)
For the first 24 hours after wrinkle reduction, you should avoid:
- Intense exercise
- Excessive alcohol
For the first 7 days after your treatment, you should avoid:
- Applying firm pressure to the treated areas.
How to reduce swelling after wrinkle reduction injections
Here are some great ways you can minimise any swelling from your wrinkle reduction injections:
- Avoid hot environments until the swelling has resolved. This includes hot showers, saunas and sitting out in the sun.
- You can take an antihistamine on the day of your treatment, as long as you are medically suitable.
- Avoid touching, scratching or picking at the skin of your full face.
- Gently apply a wrapped ice pack intermittently (10 minutes on, 10 minutes off) for the first 4 hours after your wrinkle reduction injections.
How to reduce bruising after wrinkle reduction injections
If you are worried about bruising from your wrinkle reduction, consider following these steps:
- Avoid excessive alcohol for 24 hours
- Avoid intense exercise for the first day
- Gently apply a wrapped cold pack intermittently for the first few hours after your wrinkle reduction (be careful not to apply any pressure).
If you have bruising after your wrinkle reduction injections, you can cover it with makeup the day after your treatment.
What to expect in the first few months after wrinkle reduction injections
You can look forward to enjoying an immediate improvement in your appearance after your wrinkle reduction injections where wrinkle fillers have been used. Anti-wrinkle injections will take 2 weeks to fully kick in. In the first few days, there may be some mild swelling and tenderness.
You can expect your result to look great for 12-24 months with wrinkle fillers, and around 3 months with anti-wrinkle injections.
Most patients revisit wrinkle reduction every 6-12 months on average to maintain their result.
Are there any side effects with a wrinkle reduction?
All cosmetic medical procedures have potential side effects.
When performed with skill, caution and care, a wrinkle reduction is categorised as a low-risk procedure. You can reduce the risk of side effects by following proper wrinkle reduction aftercare.
While it is unlikely, some wrinkle reduction side effects that you may experience include:
- Skin redness that will gradually improve in the first few days.
- Bruising which has about a 5-10% risk and can be covered with makeup.
- Mild swelling that may make your full face appear slightly over-corrected for the first 1-3 days.
When anti-wrinkle injections have been used on the forehead and around the eyes, there is a remote risk of temporary brow and eyelid heaviness.
If you ever notice any rashes or skin discolouration after a wrinkle reduction with fillers, it is important that you get in touch with us for an assessment. You can send a photo of your concerns using our contact form.
Why is wrinkle reduction aftercare important?
No matter if it’s your first wrinkle reduction or your tenth, following the wrinkle reduction aftercare is very important.
Following these aftercare instructions for wrinkle reduction is the best way to care for your new look, reduce the chance of side effects and prolong your result.
While these aftercare steps may seem minor and trivial, not following them may compromise your result.
We want you to achieve the best result possible and love your new look, so please, take care.
Wrinkle reduction with dermal fillers and anti-wrinkle
Here at Cosmetic Connection, wrinkle reduction is one of our most popular treatments, and a favourite among our clinical team.
It is a great option to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles affecting your face and neck. Wrinkle reduction can be achieved with different types of treatments. Wrinkle dermal filler and anti-wrinkle injections are the most commonly used, with a combination of the two giving the best possible result.
Check out our comprehensive wrinkle reduction treatment page for more information on this treatment.