Eventually, the time will come when you start to notice wrinkles developing on your face. While some people are happy to accept this as a normal part of ageing, those that are bothered by these constant reminders of getting older have some highly effective treatments available.
Anti-wrinkle injections not only soften existing wrinkles on the face, but also put a pause on the development of new, deeper lines. Before taking the plunge into the world of cosmetic injectables and anti-wrinkle injections, there are some important things you should ask.
Why do we have wrinkles on our face?
Our face is one of the most important ways that we communicate with others. Facial expressions allow us to convey emotions such as happiness, sadness, displeasure, anger and focus. These different expressions are made by the activity of the facial muscles that move facial features like the eyebrows and mouth, and that crease and furrow the skin.
When we are young, the resilience of the skin allows the temporary creasing when making facial expressions to bounce back to smooth on relaxation of the face. As we get older, our skin becomes less elastic and less able to spring back into place after being stretched. This can lead to the development of wrinkles, especially on areas of the face that are more exposed to the sun and that get more use, such as the forehead, around the eyes, and around the mouth. In addition, the natural production of oils that keep the skin moisturized decreases as we age, which can contribute to the development of wrinkles. Finally, genetics also play a role in the development of wrinkles, so some people may be more prone to getting them than others.
Etched in wrinkles not only make us look older, but can causes others to perceive us as having certain emotions, even when we don’t. The man with deep horizontal forehead wrinkles can look constantly surprised. The women with creases between her brows can look constantly angry or focussed. Not ideal given we are such social creatures.
What are anti-wrinkle injections?
Anti-wrinkle injections are a treatment that reduces wrinkles by relaxing the facial muscles that bunch the skin. They use a purified protein based on a naturally occurring compound known as botulinum toxin which works by blocking the signals between nerves and facial muscles.
The treatment can be tailored to your individual needs by adjusting where the injections are placed, and how much of the protein is injected into each muscle. Higher doses have a stronger, longer lasting effect, while more conservative doses give a more natural, shorter lasting result.
By ensuring that you book in with an experienced, doctor-led cosmetic clinic, you can feel comfortable knowing that they will design a bespoke treatment plan that is aligned with your expectations.
What wrinkles can be treated with anti-wrinkle injections?
Anti-wrinkle injections are most commonly used to treat the following types of wrinkles:
- Forehead wrinkles: These are the horizontal lines that can appear across the forehead.
- Frown lines: These are the vertical and horizontal lines that appear between the eyebrows.
- Crow’s feet: These are the wrinkles that appear around the corners of the eyes.
- Bunny lines: These are the wrinkles that appear on the bridge of the nose.
- Dimpled chin: This is a type of wrinkle that can appear on the chin and can be caused by overactive muscles.
- Lip lines: These are the vertical lines that develop on the upper and lower lips.
It is important to note that anti-wrinkle injections are not a one-size-fits-all solution and may not be effective for all types of wrinkles. Combining anti-wrinkle injections with wrinkle dermal fillers can be an effective solution for deeper, more stubborn wrinkles.
Why choose to have anti-wrinkle treatment?
There are many popular reasons why people choose to start having anti-wrinkle injections. Not only do they reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and prevent the development of new ones, they can also help you to look rested and refreshed.
Treatment with anti-wrinkle injections is very convenient. It generally takes less than 10 minutes, there is almost no discomfort, and no downtime, meaning you can get back to your day immediately.
Anti-wrinkle injections start to work 3-5 days after the procedure, with the final result being seen 2 weeks later.
What age should I start having anti-wrinkle injections?
There is no specific age at which people should start having anti-wrinkle injections. The decision to have this treatment is a personal one and should be based on your personal circumstances and goals. Some people may choose to have anti-wrinkle injections to address specific wrinkles that have already formed, while others may choose to have the treatment as a preventative measure to avoid the development of wrinkles in the future.
In general, it is recommended to start thinking about anti-wrinkle injections when wrinkles become noticeable and are causing concern, or if you have decided to be proactive and prevent them from forming. This can vary from person to person, but for some people, this may be in their late 20s or early 30s, while for others, it may be later in life.
What treatments are there to improve wrinkles?
While anti-wrinkle injections and wrinkle dermal fillers are generally the most effective way to treat wrinkles, other ways that you can supplement their benefits include the following:
- Chemical peels: These treatments use a chemical solution to remove the outer layers of the skin, revealing a smoother, more youthful-looking complexion.
- Laser resurfacing: This treatment uses a laser to remove the outer layers of the skin, stimulating collagen production and improving the appearance of wrinkles.
- Topical creams and serums: There are many topical products on the market that claim to improve the appearance of wrinkles. Some of these products contain ingredients that can stimulate collagen production or exfoliate the skin, while others may contain moisturising ingredients to help plump up the skin.
- UV protection: UV rays are harmful to the skin and can accelerate the degradation of collagen. Protecting your skin from UV rays can slow down the development of wrinkles.
If you want to be proactive about your wrinkles and look fresh and rested, book your appointment for anti-wrinkle injections today at Cosmetic Connection.